Friday, November 6, 2015

Being Nice and having Patience

Dear PA (Parsha Advisor),
 
I am trying to be nice the new kid in the class, but he is really trying my patience. He always asks me to hang out with him at lunch, recess, bus, school and shabbat!! It’s too much.  I am starting to lose my cool and get angry about it. What should I do? 

HELP !!! :(

Sincerely,
Kid trying to be easygoing



Dear Kid trying to be easygoing,

Let’s look at this week’s Parsha and see if we can find any answers or direction from the actions of Rivkah. In the story - Eliezer, the head of Avraham's household, is in search of a wife for Yitzchak. He makes a deal with Hashem at the well saying, “The girl that gives me water and also offers water to my camels - she is the one for Yitzchak.”

Rav Soloveitchik asks, "Why did Eliezer need to ask a young girl to draw water for the camels, couldn't one of his servants have taken a pitcher down the well and brought up water for the camels?"

The Rav answers that Eliezer was testing Rivkah's patience. She displayed great manners and did not get angry when a newcomer/guest asked from her something that would normally be too much. This trait was very unique, and showed Eliezer that she was fit to be the mother of the nation of Yisrael.

Patience is a trait that is in our genes. We are supposed to be slow to anger and have patience. Good things come to those who practice these characteristics. I think that your best bet is to be patient and go the extra mile for your new friend. It will pay off in the end.

Shabbat Shalom,

PA

No comments:

Post a Comment