Thursday, January 2, 2014

It is Smart to Ask for Help?

Last week at the Shabbat assembly, I spoke to the students about how "smart" it is to ask for help. We are not perfect at everything and all of us can benefit from assistance at times. Sometimes we feel like we are "dumb" if we ask for help, so we keep trying, but we may not always be successful.
It reminded me of the time we drove as a family to Boston. I was the driver and I knew the correct direction to Boston. This was before we had GPS in our cars or on our phones.  We were on the interstate going north and all was going well. We were making great time and everyone was enjoying the car ride. We passed a sign that read 100 miles to Boston. Great!  Then, about 20 minutes later, I saw another sign that read 120 Miles to Boston. How was this possible if we were still going north on the same interstate and I did not exit it???  The only other person in the car who saw the sign was my wife.  She said that something wasn't right.  She suggested that I stop for directions. Was she serious?  How could I be getting lost going from NJ to Boston? I was going north.  I decided that I was still correct and continued driving. At the next sign, which read Boston 140 miles, I had to give in and ask for help. It turns out that I had missed a turn to the north east spur of the interstate to Boston.
Why didn't I ask for help earlier?  I did not want to look dumb. In the end, I looked much worse when we were 40 miles out of the way.  In Parsaht Vayera we see that Moshe made a good decision to ask for help. He was asked by Hashem to speak to Pharaoh and ask for the Jewish People's release from slavery. Moshe asked for help since he knew he was not a clear speaker. Moshe could have said to himself that it would make him look bad to have someone else with him.  Instead, in my opinion, Moshe taught us an important lesson, that it is ok to ask for help. In fact, it is smart to ask for help.
We can ask for help from our parents, teachers, brothers, sisters and friends. Of course, we can return the favor when they ask us for help, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment